Monday, March 10, 2008

Another poll, another surprise

I happened upon this Reuters story today, which summarizes the results of a Harris Interactive Survey on political blogs. The poll shows that a majority of Americans do not read political blogs, and only 22 percent of Americans read political blogs regularly.

Those numbers don't really surprise me -- in fact, they're what I would have expected. Another statistic buried deeper in the article did surprise me, however.

According to the poll, those most likely to read political blogs are age 63 and older, with 26 percent of that age bracket reading them. Meanwhile, 23 percent of those ages 44-62 read political blogs. But only 19 percent of those 18 to 31 and 17 percent of those 32 to 43 read political blogs.

That statistic floors me. I'm well aware that many younger people have little to no interest in current events, and I'm aware that older folks -- especially those who are retired -- probably have a bit more free time with which they can browse blogs.

I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around that statistic, though. Are we really underestimating older generations' use of blogs and overestimating younger generations' use of blogs?

No comments: